HEALTH, PART 1
Price: $95 | Credits: 5 | Dept: Health
This course is the first part of a two semester course and includes the topics of the basics of health, the biology of the teen brain, mental and emotional health, healthy and safe relationships, nutrition and physical activity, and personal healthcare.
Upon completion of this course, the student is awarded 5 credits. Each credit corresponds to 15 hours of study. Of course, some students work more quickly than others, and some can devote more hours to study, so some students are able to complete the course in an accelerated rate.
In this module, students gain a comprehension of the following:
- To understand the factors affecting health, including risky behaviors, healthy habits, goals and decisions, as well as what health and wellness is.
- The development of self esteem and self confidence, as well as personal identity and character.
- To understand and cope with emotions, stress, and be able to recognize anxiety or depression either in self or a friend.
- How to recognize mental disorders and to understand the basics of suicide prevention.
- To understand what costitutes a healthy relationship, how to respect oneself and others, and peer pressure and refusal skills.
- How to deal with conflict and being able to identify and resist violence, abuse, and bullying.
- To understand the risk associated with sex and the benefits of abstinence.
- The basics of nutrition, food labels, body image, eating disorders, as well as the benefits of physical activity.
This course covers the following topics:
- Understanding Health and Wellness
- Factors Affecting Health
- Risky Behavior and the Teenage Brain Explained
- Promoting Health and Wellness
- Building Health/Life Skills
- Making Responsible Decisions and Setting Goals
- Developing Your Self-Esteem and Self-Confidence
- Developing Personal Identity and Character
- Understanding Emotions
- Understanding and Managing Stress
- Coping with Loss and Grief
- Dealing with Anxiety and Depression
- Mental Disorders
- Suicide Prevention and Getting Help
- Foundations of Healthy Relationships
- Respecting Yourself and Others
- Healthy Family Relationships and Friendships
- Peer Pressure and Refusal Skills
- Teen Health: Abstinence
- Conflict: Causes and Resolutions
- Understanding Violence
- Preventing and Overcoming Abuse
- The Importance of Nutrition
- Nutrients and Healthy Food Guidelines
- Nutrition Labels and Food Safety
- Maintaining A Healthy Weight
- Body Image and Eating Disorders
- Benefits of Physical Activity for Teens
- Fitness Safety and Avoiding Injuries
- 5 Credits – $95
- First semester of Health
- California Approval A-G: Yes